AAGPBL Interview - Bea Arbour
Bea Arbour was on the Racine roster, but never played a game in the AAGPBL. She granted us the following interview.
1) How did you get interested in playing baseball and where did you play before you turned pro?
There were boys near by who played ball so I played too. Later some girls formed a softball them, We ran a whist party to buy uniforms and passed the hat around to buy balls and bats. Five of us joined the AAGPBL.
2) Describe your signing.
Racine needed another member to fill the roster so I tried out and made it.
3) What position(s) did you play? Which teams did you play for?
Shortstop. I didn't get in a game because we had the best team in the league with five all stars. None of the subs got in a game that year.
4) What was the best thing about playing pro ball?
It was all great.
5) What was the worst thing about playing ball?
I didn't get a chance to play.
6) What was the highlight of your career?
7) Who were the best players you played with or faced? Comments?
8) Who were your favorite big league ballplayers during the era you played in?
Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Johnny Pesky, Dom DiMaggio
9) Do you follow big league ball now? If so, how do you think it compares with your day?
What do you think of this article?
Leave feedback on our message board.